Chiropractic during Pregnancy | Safety & Benefits
Is chiropractic care safe during pregnancy?
Yes! Chiropractic care is a natural form of healthcare that is considered safe and effective throughout pregnancy.1
Why chiropractic care during pregnancy?
In addition to a growing belly, pregnancy brings body changes that can result in spinal and pelvic misalignment. For example, a woman’s body during pregnancy has an increased production of the hormone relaxin which relaxes muscles, joints and ligaments to accommodate a growing baby and prepare for the delivery process. More relaxed joints and ligaments combined with a growing belly can not only make it easier for a pregnant woman to lose her balance, it can also result in spinal and pelvic misalignment. Spinal and pelvic misalignment can lead to body pains (most commonly, back pain) as well as reduce the amount of room available for the developing baby (intrauterine constraint). Intrauterine constraint caused by a misaligned pelvis can be a cause for babies in a breech position.
The goal of chiropractic care during pregnancy is to ensure spinal alignment and pelvic balance which encourages optimal nerve function, alleviates pregnancy discomforts and pain, and encourages optimal fetal positioning to increase optimal birth outcomes.
Benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy include:
- Relief for back, sciatic or joint pain 2,3,4
- Prevent potential c-sections due to baby in breech position
- Study showed 82% success rate in relieving the musculoskeletal causes of intrauterine constraint using chiropractic Webster Technique.5
- Shorter labour and delivery time
- Studies have shown 25-31% shorter delivery time with chiropractic care throughout pregnancy.6,7
Mississauga Chiropractor, Dr. Tyler Kong, is highly trained to work with women who are pregnant. He has helped many women throughout their pregnancy with gentle and effective chiropractic care - including his wife who has delivered two beautiful babies.
If you are pregnant and looking for a natural healthcare alternative, contact us at Health & Healing Family Chiropractic for a free consultation.
Dr. Tyler Kong
Mississauga Chiropractor | Health & Healing Family Chiropractic | (905) 916-4325
Your South Mississauga Chiropractor - proudly serving the communities of Clarkson, Port Credit, Erin Mills, Streetsville, Cooksville, Lakeview and beyond.
- Borggren, C. L. (2007). Pregnancy and chiropractic: a narrative review of the literature. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine,6(2), 70-74.
- Lisi, AJ. 2006. “Chiropractic Spinal Manipulation for Low Back Pain of Pregnancy: A Retrospective Case Series.” J Midwifery Wom Heal 51 (1): e7–10.
- McMorland, G, et al. 2010. “Manipulation or Microdiskectomy for Sciatica? A Prospective Randomized Clinical Study.” J Manipulative Physiol Ther 33 (8): 576–84.
- Vireday, P. 2008. “Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction.” Pathways to Family Wellness 16
- Pistolese, R.A. (2002). The Webster Technique: a chiropractic technique with obstetric implications. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics,25(6).
- J.M. Fallon. Textbook on chiropractic & pregnancy. Arlington, VA: International Chiropractic Association; 1994: 52, 109.
- Fallon J.M. Chiropractic and pregnancy: a partnership for the future. ICA Int Rev Chiropr. 1990;46(6):39–42.